Sunday, May 17, 2015

Facing tomorrow




Are you ever burdened with a load of care? Have you ever woken from a deep sleep fearing the future and having no idea what to do to meet it? Have you ever feared for your job or wondered how to find one? Or perhaps felt so overwhelmed with responsibilities or wondered how in the world you could become the person you know you can be, but feel so burdened you just coast?
    I would hazard a guess that these feelings or ones similar have all plagued us at one time or another and speaking from experience these feelings aren't fun and they are not easy to kick. I had one such experience this week when I went from deep sleep to wide awake in 1.2 seconds and pretty much had a mini freak out session. I started freaking out that we are half way through May, which means I am half way through my guaranteed paid work for the summer. In beginning this adventure I felt such peace and excitement I knew it was the right thing to do and I knew I would be provided for, now facing the what ifs I'm allowing myself to forget that assurance.
    Last week I was reminded of a very important lesson when asked the question: what is obedience? As a group we came up with really good answer, doing what we are asked, obeying because of love or just doing what we should. Yet the foremost answer to that question is rooted in trust. We do what the Lord asks of us because we trust Him to ask of us what will bring the best. We obey because we trust in a loving Heavenly Father. And thus the moment of truth...do I trust in my loving Heavenly Father? The only peace I could find that morning was to wait on the Lord. Sometimes I get so focused on what I think I need to be doing that I forget timing is key. It is very true that Heavenly Father can't direct a parked car, but He also can't direct us if we are focused on where we thing we should go. I think waiting upon the Lord's timing is one of the hardest things I'm learning in this life, but I'm never without peace when I do so. When I finally returned it to the hands of my Father, remembering He had placed the job before me, and simply asked that I will have an open heart to act when needed I could go back to sleep.
      I know that my Heavenly Father loves me and I know that those moments of panic, though painful and exhausting, are also opportunities to go to Him and let my Savior take the burden. Our weaknesses can show us just how mortal we are.



Jacob 4:6-7
         Wherefore, we search the prophets, and we have many revelations and the spirit of prophecy; and having all these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken, insomuch that we truly can command in the name of Jesus and the very trees obey us, or the mountains, or the waves of the sea.
 Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things.

I believe that as we hold to hope and truly trust the Lord we will have faith to move mountains and split seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment