Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mothers make the world go round





Today is the day that some women look forward to most of the year and other women dread. They fear inadequacy and comparison. First I want to say thank you to my mother who always says she has no idea how she raised such great kids, my answer she was always an amazing example of unconditional love, listening to the Spirit and always, always forgiving. I'm so thankful for her love and support in my sometimes rocky adventures. In honour of this day I found some quotes that seemed to fit. But I also want to say, Mother's Day isn't just about celebrating and showing gratitude to our mothers, it is always a day to cherish those qualities our mothers seemed to possess so abundantly. No matter where we are in life's journeys I hope we can gain these same attributes we appreciate so much in them.

"The art of motherhood involves much silent unobtrusive self-denial, an hourly devotion which finds no detail too minute." (Honore de Balzac) How many times have we seen our parents give up the things they desire to help us in a passing need or want.

"All I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother." - Abraham Lincoln
Mothers truly are the builders of nations, what we learn at their knee shapes our future and how we will raise our children.



Motherhood or parenthood for that matter isn't about perfection, it is about getting up every morning trying to do just a bit better than we did the day before.

"I have since realized a mother is more than just giving birth to a live baby. Motherhood is loving unconditionally. It is sacrifice, caring, kindness, nurturing, and providing. Motherhood is loving others more than yourself and seeking their well being before your own. It is doing the hard stuff and taking care of the unpleasant things. You don't have to have a child in your arms to do those things."
I took this quote from my sister, she constantly amazes me with her patience and tender care for her three lovable, "busy" kids. She teaches me daily how to go beyound yourself in service to others.

We don't have to be a mother to have these gifts or to bless the lives of others. Our nation needs more people willing to teach children from their very birth to be full of love, to take responsibility for actions, to reach out to others in need and to be examples of righteous principles. Our world embraces values we don't like, then we must instil in the next generation things that will help them not only survive, but to thrive. May we each on this sacred day for mothers commit to ourselves to try a little harder to show their nurturing love for us, to those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment