Sunday, January 31, 2016

Good Days Ahead

Sometimes days are just Fridays...

Now according to the world people have this phrase, you'll pardon me if I Utah ize it for my purposes and say "Thank Goodness Its Friday", but that's the world, though I love Friday just as much as the next person, I like what Elder Wirthlin had to say about it more.

Elder Wirthlin tells the story of Christ on the cross. He says that on Friday those who opposed the Savior thought they had won, as he breathed his last breath on the cross and Mary Magdalene and his mother Mary weeped as they said good-bye to the man they loved. And faithful worshipers in the temple watched as the veil that separated them from the holy of holies tore. For each that Friday was a day of sorrow, pain and tears.

Elder Wirthlin says Fridays will come to each of us in their different forms, sometimes it is illness, sometimes losing a loved one, sometimes seeing the world you thought you knew change and sometimes it's just a bad day, whether hair or otherwise. Elder Wirthlin says their is hope because just as Friday was a painful day Sunday came and Christ himself came to dry many tears and having broken the bands of death brought hope to all of us through his sacrifice.

Just as Fridays come to us all Sundays come as well, there is hope after dark nights and sunshine after clouds.

This week was an interesting combination of both. As many young adults in my mid-twenties I've been trying to find purpose and where my niche is. I had the opportunity to present some of my history research on policy educational trends throughout different societies, including the one we have now. I met some amazing people who are interested in my work and now as an unpublished, but perhaps one day published researcher I'm trying to figure out how to share what I find without presenting myself as more than I am....Anyhow that is a hurdle for another day. It is an amazing opportunity to share my research with people who are actively working to make our lives a better place and a thrill that they think I have good ideas.



Fast forward to two days later, flat on my back with a headache, vertigo and a full blown head cold. For someone who likes being up and doing there hasn't been a whole lot of that to be had this week.  I've just had a bunch of time in my head. I kept wondering if I'm really accomplishing anything and if I'm really following the path I'm supposed to be on. And that folks is how the adversary works, after Sundays come Fridays, full of doubts and tears and fears. But after Fridays Sundays come again. Sometimes on our path toward our purpose we can become distracted or overwhelmed, we feel like we didn't read the directions correctly or did but the directions aren't sending us in the right place. Then the adversary comes along and he gives us way too much time to think, to second guess, to feel like a failure or feel isolated. In those moments remember to hold to the path, to remember that light in the woods that is still directing and helping, even if the sun hasn't risen on the third day just yet. There are days ahead that will cause us to question even more, remember the Sundays and that there are good days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment