Sunday, May 8, 2016

It is Love...

So, it's been a very hectic week, the last of my late night paper writing for a while, for a very long while, working on a Special Collections and Archives exhibit for the library, a funeral, early morning temple, graduation and mother's day. Wow, I survived the week.

As I took time today to contemplate my week, the loss of my husband's uncle, a lot of last things, the love and support of family and graduation, the culmination of seven long (sometimes they feel very short) years of study and I realized a couple things.



Though I never met Veryl in this life I am still very blessed by his example and the legacy he left for his family. Being at his funeral on Friday I learned of his optimism, his dedication to his wife and of his service to his country in WWII. As I watched my husband help drape the flag over the casket with special care to place the stars over his heart and then watched the men of the Box Elder legion with exactness perform full military honours. As I heard the shots and taps hover in the air I thought of my own grandfather who served in Korea, of both men who fought for their country because they loved our land and wanted to protect  and serve however they could. These men and many other men and women in my family tree are examples to me of love, service and sacrifice, that there really are causes worth leaving hearth and home for. I am so grateful for that legacy in my life, from both sides of my family.


I've thought a lot about those seven years of my life, the friends I've made, the classes I've taken and the things I've learned, though I worked my way through and faced many a long night after closing work, a lot of late nights after precious hours with my husband, every night was worth it. It is important to sacrifice for the things we value, it is important to work hard in a world of entitlement and easy come and easy go. It is the work that defines, not the degree. I'm so thankful for parents who taught me how important an education is and who supported me, not with money, but with love, encouragement and food to eat and a place to sleep. Their example and encouragement got me here.

After seven years you'd think I'd be excited for a rest, but I already miss it. Studying, taking exams, writing and prepping for discussions have been such a large part of my life. Wanting A's and working for them have defined me since I knew what a GPA was, now I find myself bereft of that goal, but as my dear, husband has said their is a bright future ahead, it requires closing a door to open a new one, who knows what lovely things lie ahead.

As for mother's day, I am so very grateful for my mom. She has taught me how to love, how to serve, how to live by faith. Her careful care of her temple clothing for years showed me the reverence the things of the temple deserved. Her dedication to go each week while on my mission taught me that the temple can be a place of learning and peace. Her love and support of my dad taught me how to give in marriage, how to support my husband and spoil him too. My mother's prayers taught me I have a Father in Heaven who cares, who knows me, loves me and is active in my life. My mother and my father have shaped me into who I am, someone who knows that hard work and faith can change lives, hearts and our own corner of the world.

I am so grateful to be known by the creator of the universe, to have a family who knows Him, who loves Him and who has taught me to do the same. For it is love that heals, it is love that strengthens and it is love that brings hope for a brighter future.


No comments:

Post a Comment