Sunday, June 19, 2016

We are so Very Loved



On this beautiful Sunday morning I was pondering on Father's day and the importance of fathers. My dad taught me how to love studying the gospel. My mom taught me faith and how to believe in a loving Heavenly Father. My dad taught me to enjoy searching out the things of God and making them a part of my life. He's probably one of the reasons I took so many of the institute classes I did, I wanted to learn what he has learned throughout his life. Many Sundays we would gather as a family and he would pull out a book from his ample collection of early church history and we would read and discuss the doctrine. As he has grown and matured he has taught me what it means to sacrifice what we want now for what really matters later, as well as always putting your family first. My dad always worked so hard, in his career, his church calling and around our house. He has taught me a work ethic that continues to bless my life.

If my earthly father, with all the imperfections we mortals have has taught me all of this, what has my Heavenly Father taught and done for me? As I pondered this morning I thought about my Heavenly Father who offered his son as a sacrifice for sin, He allowed Jesus Christ to suffer mockery, isolation, pain and fear so that we could be saved and returned to Him. He loves us so much He left his son alone in a garden to undergo the Atonement so that our Savior would know how to succor us in that isolation. Our sinless Savior understands what it is to feel separated from God because in His darkest hour His father, our Father in Heaven in pain and mourning left our Savior to face the agony of sin and mortality alone. Our Father in heaven created this earth that we might come here to face the extremities of mortality and learn to choose Him even when we can't see Him. He knew that some would not be able to make it back, but He knew we were halted in our progress if we stayed safe and sound with Him. So he sent us here to prove us herewith and give us the keys to eternal life.
 

Our mortal fathers are much the same way, they realize at some point that we each must leave the nest and try our wings. I'm grateful for the role of all the fathers in my life. Men and gods who have given up so much to see me happy, healthy and well taken care of. The role of father is so imperative in the life of a child. I'm so very thankful for so many men who step forward to live that role courageously, for their many sleepless nights wondering how they will provide for their families and so many long hours making sure they do. Sometimes I wonder how many sleepless nights the Lord has seen us through and our Father in Heaven still metaphorically goes through with each of us. No matter our situation or circumstance we are so very loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment