Sunday, November 20, 2016

He Employs No Other Gatekeeper There

When I was younger and Christmas time would roll around invariably there would be a lesson asking us what gift we would give to the baby Jesus. Now as a child in primary I loved writing it down and putting it in a box to place under the Christmas tree, but as I got older I didn't quite see why the baby Jesus would need something from me, He already received frankincense, gold and myrrh so being nice to my siblings didn't really seem like that big of a deal, or saying I'd be obedient to my parents seemed like a small given thing.



So now I want to ask an updated question, a question the spirit whispered to me yesterday as I thought of Christ as the gatekeeper to the thinness of the veil. At the end of our lives we will face the gate to the next life and as scripture tells us Christ is the gatekeeper and employs no other watcher at the gate. So when we reach the end of this life we will face Him as we enter the next. But I would possit the idea that He is also the gate keeper to the veil. Our access to the spirit world is as thick or thin as we choose for it to be. The more we invite Christ to walk our journey with us the thinner the veil becomes and the more familiar the gatekeeper becomes to us. There may even come the point we will walk to that gate together and He will simply take one step ahead, turn to face us and say "well done my good and faithful friend, having walked with you I know you are ready to enter the presence of my Father." But this is dependent on our request of His presence in our lives. We do this two ways, first by actually requesting for Him to walk with us daily, to tutor us in His way, to live His example in our own lives and second to live according to the direction He gives us, to be obedient to the Spirit and to seek to make the Spirit the priority in our lives.

So now you have the background here is the question: What would you give the adult, post Gethsemane Christ? If you were to enter a room one day and see Christ there, what would you offer to Him? As I've asked this question I've received many good answers, tears and a hug, ice cream (which makes total sense, we are asked to be child like, as a child we want to give him our favorite thing and I know I love ice cream) and us, we want to give Him us. All of these things are our offerings from the heart and show our love for Christ's offering to us. As I have pondered this question I related it to the gate keeper thought and knew I did want to give Him me, I want to walk with Him and have His presence in my life as we walk together. I also wondered what fears could I offer Him, what forgiveness could I offer to myself that I have been withholding because somehow I didn't think the Atonement could extend so far, what pain, confusion or anger could I give to Him that I just haven't given up yet because I wasn't ready to. Our Savior the Lord Jesus Christ walks each day with us, in the Garden He saw us and walked with us and still walks with us, but we have to acknowledge Him and we must prepare ourselves to walk in concert with Him. Laying those fears, concerns, hurt and anger at His feet free us, they allow us to remove the veil of sin and selfishness from before our face and allows the Spirit of the Lord to enter in.

What offering can you give Christ this day and every day? What gift can you offer Him for His gift to you and that will keep Him always near by?

No comments:

Post a Comment