Sunday, February 12, 2017

Brick by Brick



"Paths to truth and righteousness are started by many, but often are lost in the confusion the adversary throws on top. However, if you have the rod in your hand and do not let go despite what is thrown at you, the road will be laid out before you brick by brick and you will not need to worry about Satan's lies and poking because you will be where Christ can protect you." An inspired friend.

Also from this inspired friend D&C 101:16 "Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion, for all flesh is in mine hand; Be Still and Know That I Am God"

 The above scripture was introduced to me as I was very unwisely doubting the intents of the Lord. He had asked for a very simple thing, but I wasn't seeing how it could possibly work out. I was questioning where this was all going to lead me, instead of simply saying "okay Father, you have this all arranged and I will simply take the direction you so lovingly offered." I love the reminder from D&C 101:16 to be still and know that He is God, but I love it even more in the context of the whole section. In this section Heavenly Father is assuring the saints that He is still preparing Zion for them and that He cares about those things that are close to their hearts. He promises crowns to the faithful and that all His promises will come to fruition...according to their faithfulness. In that moment Zion seemed so far away for the members in Missouri, but they just had to have faith and be obedient. Sadly because of some choices that were made Zion couldn't come to fruition in Missouri, but it did still come, it just took more time. In fact Heavenly Father alludes to that very thing after verse 16. He knew the saints would stumble so He offered them hope that Zion could still come.


We often talk about recognizing the Spirit and skip over the next logical step, doing what it says once the opposition starts. I often find that when I am seeking Heavenly Father as an active guide in my life that He is very willing to direct, assist, help and encourage, but that requires us to accept that direction and help. This week I received the direction of what I should do, then went all common sense on myself and denied it. What followed was some of the worst darkness I'd felt in a long while. It wasn't until I went back to that moment of decision and decided to find peace over common sense that light could enter into my heart and help me feel close to the Lord. I learned in small measure that is it better to stand with Christ and his help, then to deny it and open myself up to turmoil. Our Savior wants to bear our burdens, wants to guide and direct us, but He cannot do that if we actively choose to ignore what He asked us to do. When we make Jonah choices we get Jonah consequences, when we make Abraham choices we get Abraham consequences. Now in comparing these two men we notice that both men did face trial and testing, but one had a distinct advantage, Abraham had the Savior as friend and guide, and to offer comfort. Jonah trapped in a whale knew it was his choices that put him there.

I got to learn that lesson all over again this morning. In the scriptures we are encouraged to put trust in the Lord and not in the arm of the flesh. I think we sometimes forget what that really means. It means that even when the people we love and whose opinion we value give advice that goes contrary to the direction of the Lord, no matter how much sense it makes or how logical it seems, we need to choose the voice of the Lord. Because it is heeding His voice that offers protection and help.

It is after the clarity that the confusion often rises. It is after the peace and the decision to follow the Spirit that Satan puts his two cents worth in. He tries to call us to common sense, he causes us to think about all the things that could go wrong, all the limitations, to focus on how scary following that direction will be. We focus on the impossibilities of following on that direction instead of remembering where the direction came from and that Heavenly Father is preparing the way. Yes things seem uncertain now, but we have to start with obedience, then everything else can work out as it should. I in no way mean to imply this is simple or easy, as human beings we are very limited in our sight, we think that what is at this moment is what will always be. Heavenly Father sees how quickly things can change and how different our reality can be in just a couple of breaths. It is as we walk on His path and trust Him to lay it out brick by brick that we find peace, hope and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment