Sunday, May 13, 2018

Investing: All Attainment comes at a price

I have two quick thoughts I'd like to share tonight, I'm not sure if they will resonate with anyone else, yet they are something I'd like to gain more understanding on because I think they have important implications in the days to come.

First, last week I talked about remembering, about remembering who my husband wants to be and remembering as well some of the limitations we face because of certain life circumstances outside of our control. As I pondered that today I was reminded I also need to be willing to write something new,  to be willing to try new experiences that might contradict what I have experienced in the past. I found myself asking how do I do that, how do I balance the understanding that sometimes depression might limit us, while embracing that it doesn't always have to define us? And I guess that is part of this mortal journey,  learning not to let old patterns limit my expectations of what can be. I don't want my lack of hope and limited vision to halt us from progressing as a couple, sometimes I do catch myself thinking "oh that will never happen" or "well we aren't in a position to do that now so I guess I'll file that dream away for eternity ". Really those thoughts just make me depressed and cause me to limit what I am willing to try. True at this stage of the game I need to not judge or get angry when depression stops by for a bisit, at the same time I shouldn't let occasional visits cloud my vision for faith can assist us in building a future that maybe at this moment I don't see, but with Heavenly Father is possible.

Second thought, though the ideas of sacrifice and service aren't new to me or new to Latter Day Saints I saw them in a new way this weekend. It is true that learning to serve  others and being willing to sacrifice are pieces to our preparing for eternity, after all Godhood really is big parts serving and sacrificing. I think it is also part of a bigger eternal principle, in order to learn something or gain something we must first count the cost, we must be willing to lose something because we value what we will gain. Sort of like when I was in school, I lost sleep because I felt getting an A was worth more than an extra hour of sleep. Or now as we minister, it is worth giving up some of our schedule and personal planning because we value gaining charity and learning to love as Christ. Or learning to submit our will to that of God so we can have the Holy Ghost as our constant companion. All attainment first comes at a price, it is for us to decide whether that cost brings us closer to the Savior and His attributes and hopefully ultimately where we want to be or if we pay a price for something that ultimately comes to ash.

No comments:

Post a Comment