Sunday, October 4, 2015

A light on a Hill



As I prepared for the messages of this conference I took the council of the prophets and apostles and I came to the sessions with a prayerful heart and some questions. I anxiously waited for each new talk waiting for that one thing I needed to answer my questions and prepare me for the six months ahead. Each session I enjoyed each of the talks and loved the messages, but none of them rang true to me as the answer I was seeking. I felt a bit gipped, I wondered why the heavens were silent when I thought I was prepared for something so profound. Then as I listened to the new apostles this morning I heard things that reverberated to my deepest heart. All along I had been expecting to receive some big moment that would confirm to me that Heavenly Father had this complicated game plan that would help me learn to be a wife and student simultaneously, there would be specific, detailed instructions on a journey I needed to prepare to take, but none of those came. Instead the call to be a righteous wife, a loving friend, a supportive ward member, to be a light to someone in need. All of these things that sounded so mundane, not the adventure and fight I had in mind that Heavenly Father had for me.



Though not an adventure, it is a fight and a struggle to be all of those things. I'm sure all of us at one time or another have prayed like Pres Eyring "give me this trial" give me some grand way to prove my faith, when in all actuality proving our faith is a daily battle, loving the people closest to us when they see things a bit differently or have a different style of neatness, or loving a co-worker that just seems so difficult in the moment. These moments that seem so average and everyday are the moments when our character is determined, when our example is tested and when we can shine the brightest. Never turn down the mundane for the desire for something greater, we can be the most powerful and influential just by trying to be a little better everyday.

My answer today was love your husband like I love him, I think we can all do a little better at seeing others as our Father in Heaven sees them, He sees where they came from, what they are going through and where they will go, who are we to short change them and the Lord who paid the price for each of us. I am so very grateful that He chose to pay that price that I can try a little harder to be a little better, to count to five instead of just to three or to sit patiently at a desk when I just want to run away or chose a different song than the one I've been stuck on for a couple weeks.

To me the message of this conference was hold tight to what you know, work to live what you know and take every opportunity, big or small to be like Christ. I'm so excited to learn more on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment