Sunday, November 15, 2015

Closer to Him



I've had this re-occurring thought for the last couple hours, so we'll see where the writing of it takes us.

Who are we to be powerful? Who are we to step up and make a difference? We are simply wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, friends or seemingly unknown members in our wards. We lead everyday lives with everyday issues, getting homework done, home projects, work deadlines or housework (I think doing dishes just might be the bane of my existence, they just keep multiplying by osmosis, you put them near the sink and the pile keeps getting bigger). We feel so stuck with the duties of life that we wonder if we can even make a difference.

I went to a Mormon women and Authority symposium this week and I received some magnificent insights, but the overall feeling I came away with is that the gender roles in the LDS church are not equal, our roles are not the same, but the importance of those roles are equal and are the same. Giving women the same positions in the church as the brethren don't give us more power, they take us away from our divine sphere and take away from the role men play in God's plan. Heavenly Father didn't make our roles the same because he knew the family and the church needed different strengths and weaknesses in different places to help things role smoothly. Now these roles shouldn't be iron-clad with no flexibility or inter-support help, yet we are truly at our best when we are whole heartedly fulfilling our divine purpose. I'm so thankful for parents who taught me that Heavenly Father has a plan and purpose for me and that I can do great things.

We each have our individual purpose and divine mission, sometimes in the thick of school, work, chores, temple and church callings I feel so overwhelmed, I can't see how I am making a difference. All I see is the many school assignments I fudge or dishes that stay in the sink until they start smelling funky because I feel I am needed elsewhere. Yet it is in those moments when we feel called to somewhere else that we are fulfilling our divine duties. Before coming to this earth we covenanted to do certain things on this earth, we promised we would help serve someone in their time of need and that we would be certain places at certain times. When we are doing the best we can with the time we have and have a heart open to do whatever the Spirit will ask we are powerful, the Lord will magnify our efforts to protect our children, our homes, our work environments and we have the power to change lives. Just because the work we do isn't heart surgery, or running governments or being inspirational speakers doesn't mean that we aren't changing hearts, that we aren't changing how people view the world and that we aren't changing lives for the better, doing the Lord's work in whatever capacity He calls us to will change lives for the better. A mother's love is a powerful thing and the work of the family (whether spouse or child) means coming nearer to our Heavenly Father and we are all seeking to be closer to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment