Sunday, April 24, 2016

Living in this Moment



 I've been sitting here pondering what to say for the last hour and I'm still drawing a blank. This last week has gone by so quickly and I'm still in shock that it is Sunday night again...where did this semester go? Oh yeah, it just happened. As my undergraduate education comes to a close I keep having to remind yourself that I still have two weeks to go. Well one week of class and three papers, but who is counting. Because the whole point of these last few weeks is living in the moment. Last week I focused on trusting in what comes, this week I'm trying to figure out how to live the life you have in the moment and not simply wait for what comes next. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling short or missing what is supposed to be coming that we don't even try in the moment. We forget that the first part of every journey is taking a step, it is simply trying.

When I was in young womens' I remember hearing an analogy that seems rather appropriate in this moment, God can't direct a parked car. Allowing ourselves to be halted by fears, inadequacies, doubts and frustration gets us mired in a pit we can't escape from. In those moments we need to simply put aside what we hope or fear in the future and instead focus on the task at hand, whether that is simply getting out of bed, putting dishes in the dishwasher (if we are so luck to have a dishwasher) starting a paper or setting up an appointment. I think sometimes we think those things have no worth because they are everyday things. But it is exactly those everyday things that keep us sane and can show us we have worth and that we are engaged in a good work.

So if you like me feel yourself on the edge of a precipice of life decision just remember there is still life to live today and the best work we can do in this life is make today good for ourselves and the people we come in contact with each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment