Sunday, April 10, 2016

to morrow the Lord will do wonders among you

I'm feeling a bit split minded tonight, a bit torn in two if you will, too much Lord of the Rings perhaps.

Anyhow, first I want to give a shout out to my siblings, this morning when I saw that it was national siblings day I thought that that was just a bit too gimicky, but as anyone who has seen my facebook profile will know I've already posted two sibling pics, so apparently my heart softened just a bit. That softening came as I thought about my siblings, they really are the people closest to me. We never fought as kids, but we each seemed to be going all sorts of different directions, though we still had some really good late night talks. But it seems like it has been just since getting back from my mission that we've gotten much closer. We're usually texting or messaging each other multiple times a week, which is saying something when we're spread from Cache Valley to St. George.

I so enjoy the times when we can all get together and make our house ring with jokes, laughter and usually singing, though my oldest sister would deny she ever does. Even when we can't get together I know they've got my back, I know that I can share with them what's going on in my life in any aspect and they listen and we talk, I am so glad I have them in my corner and I'm so glad we have each other. Heavenly Father really knew what He was doing when He put us all together.


In a world full of negative energy, with nasty messages about our capabilities, weight, vulnerabilities, not feeling up to facing the world can be a very daunting thing. Knowing that you are loved and cared for, but not feeling it is enough to make you want to run away or hide in a deep dark closet. Feeling useless or sub par in a world of brilliance and power makes you want to give up. Not even knowing how to pray for help because the words don't seem to come and the only direction from heaven you get is to sing a song you don't have the music for makes you think you're crazy and just a bit off kilter. Life has so many negatives to give and sometimes you know heaven is present, but it feels so muffled and out of focus, sometimes all you can do is hold to the words of Elder Holland
Satan would have you miserable because he is miserable, he would have you give up because then you are his.
"But it is inevitable that after heavenly moments in our lives, we, of necessity, return to earth, so to speak, where sometimes less-than-ideal circumstances again face us.
The author of Hebrews warned us of this when he wrote, “Call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions.”1 That post-illumination affliction can come in many ways, and it can come to all of us. Surely every missionary who has ever served soon realized that life in the field wasn’t going to be quite like the rarefied atmosphere of the missionary training center. So too for all of us upon leaving a sweet session in the temple or concluding a particularly spiritual sacrament meeting.  Only the adversary, the enemy of us all, would try to convince us that the ideals outlined in general conference are depressing and unrealistic, that people don’t really improve, that no one really progresses. And why does Lucifer give that speech? Because he knows he can’t improve, he can’t progress, that worlds without end he will never have a bright tomorrow. He is a miserable man bound by eternal limitations, and he wants you to be miserable too. Well, don’t fall for that. With the gift of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the strength of heaven to help us, we can improve, and the great thing about the gospel is we get credit for trying, even if we don’t always succeed.


“Verily I say unto you, [the gifts of God] are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep … my commandments, and [for them] that seeketh so to do.”

But the first great truth of all eternity is that God loves us with all of His heart, might, mind, and strength. That love is the foundation stone of eternity, and it should be the foundation stone of our daily life. Indeed it is only with that reassurance burning in our soul that we can have the confidence to keep trying to improve, keep seeking forgiveness for our sins, and keep extending that grace to our neighbor.

 if we do the best we can to live the gospel, then tomorrow—and every other day—is ultimately going to be magnificent, even if we don’t always recognize it as such. Why? Because our Heavenly Father wants it to be! He wants to bless us. A rewarding, abundant, and eternal life is the very object of His merciful plan for His children! It is a plan predicated on the truth “that all things work together for good to them that love God.

 His divine love and unfailing help will be with us even when we struggle—no, will be with us especially when we struggle.

 to morrow the Lord will do wonders among you

 

No comments:

Post a Comment