Sunday, August 21, 2016

That is a Very Good Thing Indeed

So I have this sneaky suspicion that what I'll be talking about tonight I have already talked about. Although I have a sneaky suspicion that most of my posts are about things I've already brought up. But we learn through repetition and I needed the reminder this week.

I wanted to bring up two things tonight, the first is that we have a choice in what emotions we feel and in what emotions we feed. Second, what is true of life tonight, will not necessarily be true tomorrow or the next day.



First, we have a choice in what we feel. The world tells us that we have the right to vent our spleen on anybody and everybody, what ever we feel it is our right to share with everyone. We live in a world of twits and tweets, facebook posts and bitter tirades, what comes into our heads should come out of our mouths. This is the cunning work of the adversary, if he gets us so focused and caught up in our emotions and sharing them whether right or wrong we forget to use our minds, analyse our emotions, figure out what is causing them and how to appropriately work through them. Yes I understand that sometimes we can be caught by surprise and we start feeling all sorts of things, but in that moment we have a choice to stop, check ourselves, check why we feel what we feel and choose to be calm and allow the Spirit to direct to truth, to charity, to hope, to kindness. I would be willing to throw out there that the Lord is willing and able to grant us so much more peace than we are willing to grant ourselves. I got some interesting news this week that I had no idea what to do with, I started out a little scared, a little worried, very confused and sort of concerned, yet as I processed all those things peace came into my heart. The Lord sent the Spirit to speak peace and assurance that it would be okay, that things would work out. I was so grateful that the Lord would send His comforter to be with me. But this morning as I thought I about the changes coming to my life, wondering what would come, how we needed to adjust, what would come I scared myself right out of that peace. We do need to be agents unto ourselves, we need to make decisions and act, but sometimes we need to rest in the Lord, let His comfort resonate within ourselves so that we can trust Him that He is in control, He knows where I am and He knows what I need. As humans limited by mortality and time itself we want to be in control and we want a plan, what we need to remember instead is that the Creator of the Universe is in control and has a plan, trusting Him will get us much farther.

Second, another tool of the adversary is to get us stuck in the moment, so stuck that we think the circumstance of today will be the circumstance of tomorrow and the next day and the next. We get so overwhelmed because we think if we are barely holding on today how will we survive the next day, let alone the days and weeks to follow. But though eternal truths are eternal and we can trust them to infinity and beyond, today is not meant to last through eternity, it is just one drop in a bucket full of drops full of days. Today might last a couple days, but the Lord sends His tender mercies, what almost breaks us today, will be just normal tomorrow or might simply fade from our lives all together. The Lord's yoke can raise us beyond our abilities and will bring us to joys it also reminds that dark nights can't last forever and that tomorrow will have some brightness in it and that as life goes on we all learn and grow, progress and improve and tomorrow will be better, even by just a degree it will be better and that is a very good thing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment