Sunday, March 22, 2015

We can't do this alone



This week I have been bombarded by this mindset that the standards of the church don't mean anything, that we as human beings are entitled to anything we want and that if we want something we can go to any means necessary to achieve it. To this I respond with the words of Pres. Henry B. Eyring from his talk Continuing Revelation:

   "We all know that human judgment and logical thinking will not be enough to get answers to the questions that matter most in life. We need revelation from God. And we will need not just one revelation in a time of stress, but we need a constantly renewed stream. We need not just one flash of light and comfort, but we need the continuing blessing of communication with God."

We face many struggles in this life whether it be where to go for school, what to do after I graduate, whom to marry, what job to search for, which to take and how to proceed to a happy, healthy life. We can't discover these things on our own, we need the Creator of the Universe to guide and direct us, He who sees the whole path and He who knows what we need to be happy.

If you find yourselves questioning whether all the guidelines, commandments and rules are worth it, the answer is yes. Those guidelines, commandments and rules are worth it, they are the protection, guidance and help we need to find a happiness to last for eternity. Through obedience we invite this constant stream of direction we need, a constant peace that the world can't replicate.

Many people ask me how I've stayed with my fiancĂ© so long or why I chose to do what I do. My answer to them is that I don't see the path before my feet, but God does and though some of the bumps are painful in the moment, they bring eternal blessings, whether a back surgery that introduced me to a professor who is greatly helping me in my education or a love that grows deeper everyday. We don't see the end from the beginning and the fads and shortcuts of the world cannot bring happiness. No amount of societal norms, or cultured thinking will bring us greater happiness than trusting a loving Father and his prophets when they encourage us to love one another, gather food storage, have only one set of earrings and our body is a temple, do not degrade it with tattoos or earrings. Love your body for it is a gift from a loving Father who wants to see you again one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment