Sunday, March 29, 2015

Healing the Hidden Hurt




Have you ever heard the phrase "you may not get what you want, but you get what you need? I've heard it many times, but never really saw it's application in my life, until this last week. Birthdays are kind of a big deal for me, I look forward to them all year long, but this year I didn't get the birthday surprise I was hoping for and it hurt. All morning I moped, feeling bad that that one thing I wanted so much in my life hadn't come. Sometimes traffic lights don't turn green and sometimes the rain doesn't fall. What we do in those moments defines the character of our lives.


    I was very blessed to have a mother who filled that gap, she saw I wasn't feeling very cheery, she took me to lunch, spoiled me with presents then stayed up extra late so she could watch me unwrap them when I got home. She wanted me to know just how loved and how special she thought I am.
    Heavenly Father sent others into my life that day to assure me that I am known. I know it is silly, but I really love butter cream frosting and so I prayed earlier this week that maybe, just maybe He could send some my way. I was so pleased and felt so special when a friend of mine walked in the door of work with a dozen cup cakes just the way I like them. Because she listened to the Spirit and wanted to show her love for me, she brightened my day and assured me that though Heavenly Father knows it is not yet time for the blessing I seek the most, He does know me and wants to show His love. So many times that day people showed that they cared about me. Let us always see the blessings even if they aren't the ones we thought we needed.
   I know that sometimes even with the blessings we know surround us our heart aches, we hurt and don't know how to fix it. If we will go to our Father and simply ask "please help it hurts and I don't know what to do" He offers a peace the world cannot mimic nor destroy, hold to our God and our Savior for they truly save us everyday of our lives. I am so grateful for their love and direction, I can't imagine my life without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment