Sunday, August 9, 2015

Do not turn back



I've been in what feels like a holding pattern for two years, not daring to look to far in advance for fear of what I would see or even worse what I wouldn't see. I learned how to focus on the next paper due, the next Sunday School lesson or the next big date night activity, but never much farther than that. Mind you I learned to appreciate life one day at a time, to take the value and joy from each day, record it in my journal and be interested in what new thing would happen tomorrow.

Now all of a sudden tomorrow came, the time to look to the future, plan ahead and realize my life will change, what a delightful and scary thought. What I have accepted as my reality will change and I will once more learn to adapt to the life right before me. With this coming change many have asked "why so suddenly, are you sure?" Sometimes those questions have cause me to question. Now that this moment of decision has come, am I ready to follow through and commit, I've gotten to used to how life was, am I ready for it to be something new. That is a terrifying question to ask yourself. I'm so thankful for the wonderful advice my sister sent me from Elder Holland:

"Beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now."  "With any major decision there are cautions and considerations to make, but once there has been illumination, beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now. Don’t give up when the pressure mounts. Certainly don’t give in to that being who is bent on the destruction of your happiness. Face your doubts. Master your fears. “Cast not away therefore your confidence.” Stay the course and see the beauty of life unfold for you."

If it was right when I prayed about it and lived two years for it, it still is correct right now, it still is a good thing. So don't shirk from the good because someone asks if you are sure, because they haven't felt what you have felt and they aren't entitled to the same direction as you are. Have faith that what the Lord promised He will fulfill and as long as you are on his side, working on His will you will be blessed and helped, not matter what temporal concerns may appear. Trust the peace when it comes and hold to it when fears seem to overwhelm you, the peace is stronger than the fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment