Sunday, December 3, 2017

The greater small thing



I want to talk tonight about applying and living what we learn. Sometimes as our trials and road blocks feel very repetitive we can feel that the solution is also very repetitive and we feel bad about returning to Heavenly Father again and again with the same request. I'm afraid I fell pray to that trap this week, I felt like I was applying vain repetition and I'm pretty sure that the adversary snuck in as well telling me that the Lord was tired of hearing that request and that I was strong enough now I didn't need to keep asking, but that sounds very much like a lie, now that I look at it hind sight 20/20, Heavenly Father never gets weary of hearing us ask for His assistance, sometimes He will give us new information that we should apply in place of the old, but until He gives us that knowledge we keep consistently and faithfully do what He taught us. He gave us that knowledge not just to be edified, but to receive protection to receive help and if the simple stuff does the job, why try to apply the complicated when the simple does a fantastic job. The adversary jumps on us, and this is the trap I fell into, the brazen serpent pitfall. Because of the easiness of the way (all I needed to do was ask for some assistance of those on the other side of the veil) it paradoxically seemed like too much bother. I wish I understood what was going on in my head when I heed those thoughts, but the point is, I stopped specifically asking for the assistance I needed and things got bad. The adversary sent his shafts in the whirl-wind and because I didn't ask for help, it couldn't come to the extent I needed it.

I found myself frustrated, easily grumpified and focusing only on the negative...not to mention being snippy without cause. It wasn't until I took it to the Lord and asked why I was feeling this way that He showed me the easiness of the way and how effective it really is.  It is so easy to fall into the trap of looking for the bigger things that we can do for the Lord, of asking for some large task to complete, seeking some big project to show our love and devotion, when really all He asks for is consistency. Can we learn to do things so that they can become second nature to us? Can we become consistent enough that we do those things that are a protection and help to us with purpose and intent, but without question or hesitation? Do we choose consistency in the small things as well as trying new things or do we get so caught up in what seems to be the big sacrifices, that we miss the little acts of kindness and service that can bring the spirit so very quickly? Sometimes I want so badly the magnificent, that I miss the significant. I'm not saying to not try the big things or to make the sacrifices ( I mean even now I still am trying for the goal to get up early and study, I'm just reminding myself that it shouldn't come at the expense of my health or joy with my companion, it is important to create opportunities where we feel the Spirit and consecrate time for sacred things, but we must respect our mortal limits, and make the small sacrifices (like developing a pattern of going to bed earlier, so I can get up earlier) in order for the bigger sacrifices to work.


This gospel and this life really is a process of ever growing line upon line, we do the small to train ourselves how to do the big, but loving kindness and learning how to expand our current limitations should take precedence over doing things the way we think they should be done and pushing through regardless of mortal frailties.

As we ponder on this Christmas season and ponder on what we can give our Savior this season, I wonder perhaps if what would mean much for Him is our consistency to do what He has taught us to do. To offer Him a broken heart and contrite spirit and willing hands to do whatever is needed of us, no matter how small, how redundant or how time worn. We all hope to change the world and I wonder if changing the world comes by small asks done over and over again instead of magnificent acts done once.

Luke 16:10
               He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much         


https://www.beaninspirer.com/best-ladder-success-life-ones-kind-deeds/





2 comments: